In a major relief to the taxpayers, the Goods and Services Tax(GST) Department has rolled out the facility of filing Nil GSTR 3B through SMS with effect from 8th June 2020 vide Notification No. 44/2020-Central Tax. By using this facility the taxpayers will not have to login to the GST portal for Nil return. This facility will also release the extra burden off the GST portal which results in technical glitches on due dates generally.
Who can file Nil GSTR 3B via SMS?
- Normal Taxpayer
- Casual Taxpayer
- SEZ Unit or SEZ Developer
However, this SMS facility is not applicable in case of Composition Taxpayers.
Conditions for filing Nil GSTR 3B via SMS?
This SMS facility is applicable to a taxpayer only if the following conditions are satisfied:
- No such Outward Supply of goods or services during the previous month.
- No inward supplies on which tax is payable under reverse change mechanism.
- No interest and late filing fee liability.
- No other liability/adjustment of earlier tax periods.
Steps to be followed for filing Nil return through SMS:
- Eligible Person: Authorized Representative of the particular GSTIN can initiate the SMS from his registered mobile number.
- Initiate Return Filing: Type NIL space 3B space GSTIN space Tax period and send to 14409.
- Verify Nil Filing: Type CNF space 3B space 06 digit verification Code and send to 14409.
- Confirmation message: ARN No. against the return filing will be generated.
- Status Check: You can check the return filing status at GST portal. Go to Services> Returns> Track Return Status.